Monday 25 November 2013



Remember when as kids we used to pretend to smoke with the lolly cigarettes called 'Fags'. I can recall these, as I'm sure most can, in the tuck shop at school and the local corner shop. Dave Wally shared this photo and it certainly stirred lots of great memories, some posters saying that it might have actually led them to smoking the real thing. 
Back in the 60s and 70s smoking wasn't frowned upon as it is today and the cigarette companies had open slather, allowed to advertise on radio, TV, in the paper and any other form of advertising that was available! I started to smoke when I first got a job in the PMG but soon had to make a decision...the latest Elvis 45 or a packet of Viscount. Elvis won and I was never able to afford cigarettes spending all my available money on records. I think I got lucky!!
  
    


Back in April this year we posted an article about the end of analogue TV transmission in Adelaide;
At 7am this morning they switched of the analogue TV transmitters in Adelaide. TV started in Adelaide on 5 September 1959 when NWS-9 began broadcasting. John Doherty read the first news bulletin while other presenters included Kevin Crease, Glenys O’Brien and Ian Fairweather. ADS-7 commenced transmission on 24 October 1959, I can’t remember who did the first news bulletin but I recall Alec Macaskill was one of their early newsreaders with personalities such as Angela Stacy and Rick Patterson. ABS2, the ABC station in Adelaide began broadcasting on 11 March 1960. I can’t remember who their top presenters were (I wasn’t much of an ABC fan in those days). SAS-10 commenced broadcasting on 26 July 1965. Early names that come to mind include Noel O’Connor and Caroline Ainslee. Of course we had that weird switch in 1987 when Ch-10 and 7 switched broadcast channels. Can anyone remember the original line-ups and personalities?

No comments:

Post a Comment